Signs and symptoms
There are wide ranging symptoms detected in this psychological disorder. Previously, the disease was known as ADD or Attention Deficit Disorder. In early 1990s the name changed to ADHD with three types of symptoms. Some of which are as follows -
Symptoms related to attention deficit -
- Carelessness in schoolwork and social activities.
- Difficulty in staying focused on tasks or play.
- Inability to remember what is said by teachers in classes
- Trouble in following instructions
- Problems in organizing personal articles
- Avoidance of tasks where more attention is required
- Always playful, difficult to keep calm
- Always in a hurry
- Unable to listen a question patiently
- Talks excessively
- Problem is waiting in a line or wait for a turn
In combined symptoms both the above mentioned symptoms are found in a kid. Combined symptoms are more common in the kids.
Diagnosis of ADHD
There are no specific tests recommended by the for ADHD, doctors solely depend on their and parents’ observations to fix the problem.
Treatment for ADHD
ADHD is normally treated with medicine and behavior therapy applied in certain combination. A good treatment plan includes observing the patient and monitoring the kid's activities. Apart from traditional treatment procedures, alternative treatment for ADHD could also be followed. Medication can affect the patients differently depending on the severity of the disorder.
It is important for the parents to get involved actively in the treatment plan of their child. For that reason, parent education is also included in any treatment procedure of ADHD. Parents are advised to rectify eating disorders of their children, since it is found by the researchers that kids with ADHD has poor eating habits including proneness for fast food.